17 July, 2012

It's Possible



Anything's possible.
I think I have a hard time remembering that sometimes.
Anything is possible.
I checked out a bunch of music books from the Berkeley library last week, and was playing through some of them this weekend. One of the books I got is Seussical the Musical. I was originally going to audition to be in it this fall at MET, but I don't get back until like a month after auditions. Anywho, as I was playing through the music for this show, the song "It's Possible" really stood out to me. In part, I'm sure because it's one of those songs that drives to the end (I like that), but also because it shows something that I think the world of Seuss tried really hard to foster and champion: Imagination.
Jojo is a Thinker who thinks strange Thinks. They (his parents, an army general, etc.) try to get him to conform, and this song is his secret indulgence in imagination. Taking a bath becomes this epic underwater adventure. In the end, Jojo's Thinks save his entire world.
As I've been at Bayer this summer, I've gotten to see how this same "battle" rages on in the real world. Time and time again, I've heard people praise the ability to "think outside the box" and "be a fresh set of eyes". Concurrently, there are forms to fill out, standard procedures to follow, licenses to adhere to, and acronyms (oh my goodness are there acronyms) to learn. Amid the roar of bustling bureaucracy, the drive of deadlines, and the rigid hierarchy, it seems like it's very easy for one small voice singing "anything's possible" to be heard.
It seems so easy, to me, to let the world wash away the imagination that comes so easily to children. I don't think I ever had that creative of an imagination (I'm kinda left-brained biased), but it's more than just straight-up imagining up fantasy worlds. It's some kind of naivete in which the thought "that's impossible" or "that would just be impractical" is non-existent. It's a willingness to pursue a dream, without an elaborate safety net or back-up plan. It's the confidence that the world is a good place, full of good people. That's what this song stirs up in my memory.
Try to remember that feeling, or, if that isn't what you grew up with, work towards it. Kids are happy, and I feel like it's because they realize that...
               

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that song, and as I was jamming to it on my drive home the other day, I thought about how much fun it would be to have my 11 yr old boy student to sing it - and others, too, but it's a great solution to particular problems with him. Good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete