31 March, 2013

Brother James's Air

I got asked last night if I might be able to play the piano for one of our ward choir's songs in church today, so I spent an hour or so working on the accompaniment before I went to bed. Not too surprisingly, I woke up this morning with Brother James's Air stuck in my head. It has such a simple melody, that I almost dismissed it when our choir director first handed out the music, but there is something in its simplicity which makes it absolutely beautiful. I've long since fallen in love with this piece.
I was thinking about Easter this morning, and as I was thinking about Brother James's Air as well, I read over the psalm that provided the text for it. Psalm 23 is such a beautiful witness of Christ's role and His love and care for us. I decided to look around a bit and see what "Easter psalms" there are as well. I read through quite a few of the psalms, but then I came to psalm 49, which I instantly loved.

They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:
(For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever :)
That he should still live for ever and not see corruption.
...
Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.
But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me.

This is such a beautiful reminder of the reality of the Resurrection! A thousand years before Christ was born, the psalmist confidently put his trust in God and His redeeming power. Money and influential friends aren't what guarantee the resurrection, those things don't last. It is God who ransomed us.
Death is certain. It will come for each of us. Last year, my grandma passed away, and it was one of the saddest weeks of my life. I understand better now what it feels like to lose someone, and it made me appreciate life and those around me so much more. But even more important (to me) is the way that it strengthened my belief that, as certain as death is, so too is redemption from the grave certain in Christ. One day, in the future, I will get to see and hug and talk to my grandma again.
And that is what I celebrate this Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment