23 October, 2012

Check Yes or No




This song definitely had me smiling as I ate breakfast the other morning. I used to listen to a ton of country when I was a kid, and I've gotta say: country definitely has an interesting view on the idea of love. I'm not going to say that it skewed my perception of love as a kid, but it definitely contributed to some quirks (to say nothing of the damage done to my ability to make real rhymes).
I remember singing along to "Check Yes or No" long before I could date. Looking back now, I smile at how idyllic and simple it makes things sound:


It started way back in third grade
I used to sit beside Emmylou Hayes
A pink dress, a matching bow and her pony tail
She kissed me on the school bus, but told me not to tell

Next day I chased her 'round the playground
Across the monkey bars, to the merry-go-round
And Emmylou got caught passing me a note
Before the teacher took it, I read what she wrote:

"Do you love me, do you wanna be my friend?
And if you do
Well then don't be afraid to take me by the hand
If you want to
I think this is how love goes, check yes or no"


As I thought about it more, though, I felt like little Emmylou Hayes and George Strait (loved the glasses in the video!) nailed it on the head describing love. Love is wonderfully awkward. It doesn't make any sense, and it's foolhardy and nonsensical and full of fun and chasing on the monkey bars. It's putting yourself out there, and sometimes getting more back than you could ever have hoped for.
Is that cheesy?
Yeah, I guess it is.

...but you know what? I think that love is cheesy sometimes too :)

1 comment:

  1. awww man, I had a whole comment typed out and wasn't logged in and it killed it. I was almost too lazy to put it up again.

    I said:

    "awww, cute :) I love country music and its inability to rhyme. And yes, it's cheesy, but it's a happy kind of cheesy. The best moments that you can't wait to tell everyone about are usually the ones that are oozing cheese, but they're also some of the sweetest memories. You don't normally think of desiring awkwardness, but when the reward is so great, it's worth it."

    Or something to that effect. Probably better the first time.

    ReplyDelete