27 September, 2012

Gloria (My Savior Lives)


Reflections of Christ
As I woke up the other morning, I had three phrases stuck in my head. No words, just three short musical blurbs that I couldn't figure out the source of. I went around, humming the few bars over and over, but I couldn't figure it out. This isn't unheard of for me, I often don't know the words to songs and hum along until I get to the chorus and can sing along again.
Finally, I had a breakthrough as I realized I was humming a phrase which was just one word, repeated three times. It filled me with a warm happiness when I realized that I had been humming "Gloria". It's from an oratorio by Rob Gardner called "The Lamb of God" that I love and would recommend to anyone. I got to go to the premiere of the show at Gammage a couple of years ago and fell in love with the music that evening. I bought the CD recording of it, so if you'd like to hear the whole thing, let me know!
When I realized that, I decided that I would go through and make a Gloria Gratitude List. Here are some of the things that I'm grateful for that make me want to sing out Gloria to God:
I'm grateful for choices, for the ability to choose and the necessity to do so on a constant basis.
I love sunsets. I love how beautiful the day can end in a blaze of color.
I am thankful for my family. My mom just finished a novel (go check it out if you're interested!) about a family who has to deal with some serious loss. Reading it, I thought about just how grateful I am for my family.
I'm grateful for days of health. I'm still getting over a nasty headcold and that has made me realize how important health is and just how much I miss it when it's gone.
I'm grateful for early childhood education teachers. I feel like I had some fantastic teachers early in my education which let me grow and learn about what interests me. That has helped me become who I am today.
Old cultures. Every time I brush up against a culture which is really old, I'm reminded just how little I know and how much out there in the world there is for me to experience.
I'm thankful for the scriptures- for words that I've read dozens of times in the past and the new thoughts, impressions and feelings which come with that simple action.
I'm grateful for hope. Hope comes from Christ and buoys me up and gives me strength when I need it most.

I'll sing Gloria! Glory to the Lord. Gloria! Glory for the life he doth give. 

Glory be to God for every aspect of my life which came from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment