16 September, 2012

Me without You

The professor of my Economic Development and growth class made an interesting point the other day. We were talking about the 8+% growth in GDP that China has experienced in the recent years. After he described some of the policies that are necessary for that kind of growth, I asked if that meant that China wasn't going to be able to sustain growth (before you groan, it's actually a really interesting class and probably one of my favorites this semester). His response surprised me a bit:
Basically, he said "no chance", and that is about as specific as he would get. He promised us that we could come talk to him in about 50 years, and, if China was still growing at 8%, he would apologize. He went on to explain to us that economists are great at looking back on data and saying "clearly this is why this happened and these were the main factors affected", but that any economist who is looking ahead and predicting how policies or actions will affect the future more than a few months or years out is really just giving a best guess or speculation.
I take a lot of the same perspective, but for the opposite direction. I feel like one of the most frustrating things you can ask is "...what if?"
What if I hadn't been there that night?
What if I hadn't kissed her?
What if I had kissed her?
What if I had picked the blue pill?

Personally, any time that I've gotten in to the "what-if" game, it hasn't made me any happier or really given me any sort of beneficial outcome. I know it's a bit trite, but

There is one large exception. There is one thought that I have had countless times imagining "what if?" Part of the reason I think I'm ok with this particular "what-if" is that it is a positive motivator for me. The song for today, "Me Without You", reminded me of that (and is insanely catchy).

I am who I am today (and everyday) in great measure due to my faith. I can look back at several times in my life and say with pretty sure confidence that I was literally saved from myself and who I would have been/become: From my lonesome and unhappy 3rd grade self, from my sarcastic and unfriendly middle school self, from who I might have become after high school.

I can imagine a world that is different from what is, and I thank God from the bottom of my heart that it is what it is today.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like to imagine my life without the Gospel. I don't like to imagine who I would be without it. I'm a completely different person now than I was even a year ago, and like you, I have God to thank for that.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete