11 September, 2012

Love You Like a Love Song

Wow, I've blogged about a lot of songs.
It's been said and done...
Lots of them have had kind of a consistent theme.
Every beautiful thought's been already sung...
Sometimes I wonder if I have anything of worth to say.
And I guess right now here's another one...

This is a fun (if somewhat inane) song. By far, one of my favorite aspects about it is that it is a popular song with a beat that is fantastically suited for dancing a chacha. Any time a song comes out which is at least dance-able gets a boost in my books.

Turning those lines from the beginning into questions:
Has it already all been said and done?
Is there any beautiful thought that hasn't been sung?

For me, most of the time is seems like there is a song for every emotion and moment in my life. People have been writing music for like 40,000 years. It seems like the odds are that they've probably already covered everything. It's an awesome feeling when a song starts playing that expresses something so internal and emotional. There's someone out there who's felt or is feeling what I feel.

WRONG

Sorry, but I don't buy that. I'm very much a big fan of individualism. While being able to connect with others is one of the most important parts of life, in the end, I have my own personal history and way of looking at things and so do you. We may get close to understanding one another, but it is always going to be through one filter or another.

That's the beauty of interacting with people: everyone is just different enough from everyone else that every interaction is going to be at least a little different.
No one compares, you stand alone to every record I own.
For Selena, this simile-entombed love song love is different from anything else she's had before (even different than the Biebs!) I'm not claiming that Jelena (as the couple is referred to) are (is?) expert(s) on love, but I think the concept is right that love is never the same twice. No matter how many times you fall in love, it's new and it's different and it is its own, special thing.

So find it, and put it on repeat-peat-peat-peat-peat-peat...

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that people are different. We have different experiences, and those experiences and how we choose to react to and interpret them changes how we see the world and how we live.

    That's why I think it's really cool that any two people can connect—can find something to talk about or some feeling that they've both experienced. Love, loss, frustration, excitement, embarrassment, fear—chances are you share one of them with the person you see on the bus, no matter how alien he seems to you.

    On the same token, I think we don't often share those things with each other. It makes a news story or a special Christmas moment when we do. What prevents us from connecting?

    ReplyDelete