06 January, 2013

A Tisket, A Tasket



I woke up one morning humming "A Tisket, A Tasket". It's got to be 15 years since I've sung that song, and the only time I can remember hearing it was in dance last semester as we were dancing triple-swing. Most of the songs from that era seem to have a beat made for swing, and I am ok with that :)
Music makes me happy. As I'm hoping you can tell by this post (and this blog in general!), I have a love for music. I don't claim to be any great aficionado of music, but I do love it. That love has spilled over into other aspects of my life, and has even helped created new loves in my life. Much more recent than my love of music in my love of dance.
My relationship with dancing has been an interesting one, no doubt. I think the first "dancing" I ever did was the deacon shuffle at church dances. Watch the video, then you'll appreciate why the dancing needed to go in quotations. In high school, I did show choir and a couple of musicals, so I danced to choreography. In my first semester at ASU, a cute girl who was a friend of a friend from church asked if I would join her ballroom class. I said, "sure!" and then found out a week later that she was engaged. That, however, put me in a place to fall in love with social partner dancing.
I've been taking lessons at ASU off an on throughout my undergrad, and they have really been some of my all-time favorite classes. I'm so far from being what I would consider a good dancer (though I did compete nationally :) ) but I've slowly been learning how to do more than just string random steps together. Each dance has a "feel" behind the steps, and that is where the fun comes in. I found this version of a Viennese Waltz that I feel like shows just how artistically you can interpret a song and how beautiful dancing can be.
There isn't really a purpose to this post, just a chance for me to say "I love to dance!"

Thanks for listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment