17 May, 2012

My Eyes

Again with NPH (apparently he doesn't get to be named in online communities, just initials). Sorry to those of you who aren't Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog fans. I am and another post is coming from the show.

Before Dr. Horrible sings of his Brand New Day, he and Penny share a duet singing about the world from the perspective of respective "My Eyes". He sings of his bitterness at the way the world is not living up to his expectations, while she sings of the hope and promise she sees in the world around her. This post isn't going to be so much about the content of the song as it is the concept.
Namely: that it's a duet.

I really do love duets, and musical theater duets are some of the best out there. There is a very good chance that many of my favorite duets will end up as stand-alone posts (subconscious permitting), but if you'll just indulge me for a bit, I'd like to share some of them with you here:


I had so much fun listening to those all again.

So what is it about duets that make them so special? Each of those shows are filled with music which I have no problem saying is fantastic. Why do these duets stand out so much to me?
I think a lot of it has to do with the structure of a duet. Both singers are very much involved in their own lyrics and melody lines. Some of the time, it almost seems like there are two separate, completely unrelated songs being performed concurrently.
And then, all of a sudden (and sometimes it happens quite suddenly), two parts become one. Beautiful harmonies happen, and the words intertwine with each other in a way that no solo can ever capture. 
Yes, duets are magnificent creations. For "My Eyes" the contrast is amazing between the anger and frustration Dr. Horrible is feeling and the optimism and joy Penny finds in the world around her. I think that it is so much richer than either trying to convey that alone.
So what am I saying? I think it's simply that there is definitely a case for the idea that two are better than one could ever be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment