10 August, 2012

Dark Blue

First off, I think I like the music video for "Dark Blue". A lot. But I'm not sure that I get the video. I started out like "wow, this is super cool!" and then by the end I was like "wait... what?" Go ahead- go give it a watch. I'll wait.

Right?


So then, I'm pretty sure this post isn't going to be about a 2 month-long jive competition, but to be honest, when I start typing, I really don't ever know where I'm going to go with it.
I really like the question that gets posed like a dozen times in the song:
Have you ever been alone in a crowded room?
That's the kind of question that sends my mind running and starts all sorts of trains of thought. What does it mean to be alone? When do I feel most alone? What kinds of crowds contribute to feeling alone? Is alone a bad thing?
I don't really have any solidified answers to a lot of these questions yet. One thing I do know is that being able to discuss questions like these is a big part of what makes me tick. I love sitting down with someone and discussing why's and wherefore's. I love getting stumped and looking things up on Wikipedia. I love answering questions with questions, and then making connections to things unrelated at first glance.
The extra-credit question at the end of my Transport Phenomenon II: Heat/Mass Transfer "heat" exam was "why is the sky blue?" There was some outrage among fellow classmates because that was really not an issue of heat transfer and a very vague question. I couldn't have loved the question more. I spent the last fifteen minutes of the exam (at least!) writing the best answer I could. I don't remember how much credit I got, but it was fun if nothing else.
I have to thank my parents, because, somewhere along the way, I never lost my curiosity. I don't think I ever specifically asked either of them why the sky is blue (although that is the classic child-like curiosity question), but I did ask a bunch of questions. I don't really ever remember getting shut down- on the contrary! They moved the encyclopedia set to my room so I could look up "Vesuvius" and "Venus" in my spare time. It was the start of a great love of learning.
For me, the color of curiosity is dark blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment