13 August, 2012

The Fortunate

I'm going to be honest for this one- when I looked up the lyrics for the song, I fully expected to be completely wrong on most of them. I figured it is one of those songs that I've heard a bunch, but never really paid that close attention to. And as I was singing to myself in the shower I stopped and thought, "wow. Those lyrics don't really make any sense to me at all."

Turns out I was singing the actual lyrics. If you check out Cartel's "The Fortunate", let me know if the song makes sense to you.

So now that I've established that I don't know what the song is about, what do I write about?
I'm going to choose one of the catchier lines and put my own thoughts into it. Several times, the song goes:
Heyyy don't pay no mind.
We are the second, you're minutes behind
I take that as a call to live in the present. Cartel is being very realistic in realizing that they are a second. Their time is probably going to be very short in the limelight. It's not that they aren't any good, it's just the nature of the music industry. (I also think it's funny that the majority of the comments on the video are people talking about whether or not they found Cartel on Pandora. I did!)
While that is not the most positive of thoughts, it feels like they are saying "it could be worse. We could be minutes behind." There are plenty of groups who hesitated with a fear of the future- I'll probably never know about them. There are plenty of groups living in the past, remembering what music used to be like- if I knew them, I've probably forgotten most of them. 
I wish I knew what the future held for me sometimes. I don't know if I ever would have guessed that I would go to work one day in a suit and tie so that I could have a job interview conducted half in German and half in English where I would be grilled on protein chemistry. Things happen from one day to the next and amazing experiences like this emerge. One of my favorite quotes on this subject comes from the Music Man. It's an awful manipulation by a guy who is a sleazeball, but I feel like it speaks truth:
Oh, my dear little librarian. You pile up enough tomorrows,
 and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. 
I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering
So I'll turn this manipulation on you :) was there something today that you thought "Oh, I'll do that tomorrow. I can't do that right now"? Well then, pull a Nike, and, "Just Do It."
Or, you know don't. But you may wake up one day to find that you're minutes behind.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what the song is about either - that's the case for most of their music. But I still really like Cartel!

    ReplyDelete